Monday, April 3

Cows and Bikes

I sure have been busy lately! A bit of a break (not really, just nothing due immediately) for the next week or so. Before break, I had to get started on a grant, then I was gone and got nothing done, then finish the grant and do a TON of other stuff. It sucked. I didn't even have time to go to work at the shop! Seem to be over a bit of a hump now though. For a bit...
Went for a nice long walk out at Southfarm on Saturday. It was overcast, so Kristen didn't put on sunscreen, but the sun did poke through a couple times, and that was enough to give her a good burn. Poor redhead. Took some pictures of cows and pastures and stuff.
Sunday, decided I go out for the big long group ride from the shop. Mike's been sick, so he and I were going to go shorter than everyone else (since I hadn't ridden in a month and was on a singlespeed). So, I started the day off thinking I was going to go 20 or 30 miles, which isn't really bad at all on the SS. The gear (40-15) is really quite good around here, assuming I've got juice in my legs to stand up and hammer the hills. Anywho, to make a long story short, we wound up riding about 60 miles. Into a very strong headwind on the way home. At one point we (6 of us) were crossing a big open field near Crawford, headed right into the wind. The pace slowed down, which means I have to mash that gear instead of downshift. Man, I was off the back in no time, and my legs never really did recover. That was about 3 hours into it. Caught up eventually (thank to Mike and John staying back with me). Got a flat at one point. On the way back into town on 182 (from the east) were going right into the wind up and down some rolling hills. These hills would normally have been no problem, but my legs were shot and like I said, I had no other gears to shift into to ease the work. Finally made it back. Totally clobbered. About the most beat I've been from riding in a very long time. More so than racing probably. My legs just wouldn't go. Mike, John and I rode into town together, the other 3 people having taken off ahead. They were just as crapped out as I was. Even though they're old dudes, they're on their high-zoot carbon treks, and I was on a 21 year old steel singlespeed trek with a rack and a too narrow (40cm) bar. It was fun. Humbling, but fun. It's good to go out and kick your own ass sometimes...
Later that day, went out to southfarm for a stroll with Kristen and Zephyr... some pics from that too...

"We will fight for bovine freedom..."

"We will run free with the buffalo..."

Strollin' at southfarm.

Kristen at sunset (vetschool in background).

Way out at the end of Southfarm... that's skunk-hill where the road is turning left.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will
Great photos and captions. I had forgotten about the BFM Bovine Freedom Movement and Skunk hill.
Been riding too. (The Jamis) A small group here at the bike shop, mostly old foogies, generally 20-30mi, not a breathtaking pace ~ 14mph but still respectful. Lotta hills to pull to get outta the valley.
I did ride from Conconully to Loomis and back on the Y bike (45 mi) Still snow from Conconully to Fish Lake wend down about 6 times in snow-mud-ice ruts. The way bay up the hill from Fish Lake to Conconully was a death ride for me, was glad when the computer showed a gain of 0.01 mi, Lost about 6-8 lbs on the ride -so I must have dehydrated out pretty thouroughly despite the usual 2 liters I packed.
I am now pretty much grinding out the weeks with work. Headed to Seattle this weekend. need some new SPD shoes my 120 yr old ones are finally pooping out.
Hang in there Say high to Kristen and all, glad Mike & John are still upright and churnin
They invented deraillers for a reason you know
The old man

Anonymous said...

Check it out Guys, My bike made it on Dirtrag. Still bits and pieces to go, but getting closer to a bike.
http://www.dirtragmag.com/gal/showphoto.php?photo=1315&cat=576&page=6

I blew myself out tonight trying to climb. Did a good series of 5.10s and then couldn't even hang on to a 5.7 to save myself. But it felt good. I think that everyone but me is getting to ride. I'm pretty Jealous. But sailing is getting sunny and fun. Switching from dark beers to lighter ones and we just got crew hats last week. We blew out our #1 genoa so we are either praying for a gale or a drifter this weekend to keep us competative.

I think I might start one of these soon.
Take care
Teal

Will Waterstrat said...

Cool stuff y'all.
Don't be envious of my riding Teal, that was the first time in a month I've had time to. Cool that your bike made it on dirtrag. There was some really cool stuff at that handmade bike show from the pictures I've seen. Almost makes me want to get into bike building...
Anywho, got class.