Thursday, March 17

Class

I have class two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday. That might seem pretty slack, but I'm still taking 4 classes (2 online). The worst part of it is that I have an 8am class. That wouldn't be so bad if I were on campus, but since I commute from Waterville, getting up at 5 (in case it snows) sucks big time. Believe it or not though, I actually enjoy the class. It is Advanced Sedimentology, which is a more in depth look at the processes of erosion, sediment transport, geomorphology, mass wasting, etc. Probably sounds really exciting to you non-geology people out there (everyone), but it's what I enjoy most in geology. I couldn't care less about crystal structures of minerals, or direct/refracted seismic wave crossover points. Ah well, I guess it's what I need to be a well-rounded geologist.
Speaking of well rounded, I need to get some exercise. I've been riding my bike on a trainer in the basement all winter, but I'm really getting sick of sitting around going nowhere while my ass and dangley bits slowly get numb. It's almost spring, and I do detect a bit of it in the air, so maybe I'll be riding outside soon. I hope. I hopped around on the trials bike a bit yesterday. Everything is still covered up by snow of course, but trying to bunny hop into a vertical snowbank can be challenging too. I did that for so long my hands are still shaking, 12 hours later.
Bruce Schwab is speaking in Portland this weekend. I'd really like to go see that but I doubt I will. For those of you who don't know, Bruce became the first American to finish the Vendee Globe race. The Vendee is a nonstop, single-handed, around the world sailboat race. Bruce finished in 9th after 109 days or so. Pretty big accomplishment if you ask me.
Well, I've gotta go to class.

No comments: