Sunday, May 11

Horn of the Moon.

First of all, Happy Mother's day mom!
I've been riding a lot lately, thanks to the motivation provided by Ford's training plan he made up for me. No real specific goal in mind, just get in good shape, maybe do some casual racing this summer, who knows.
Anyway, went out for my longest ride yet (since I've been in Vermont that is) on Friday, about 30 miles. Rode what's becoming a usual loop, then decided to add something else onto it. That something else, Horn of the Moon road, turned out to be a long, steep climb. Then it intersected North St., climbed a bit more, crossed some fields along the crest of a ridge, then descended steeply back to town. A pretty great section I think. The climb up Horn of the Moon road (cool name eh?) is about 20 minutes of grinding the granny gear (which is a 34 x 25 on the 'cross bike). Some great views from up there, and the following pictures don't do it justice.
Headed out for a mountain bike ride today and broke my chain twice right the base of the first climb. Broke it the first time, slammed my knee into the stem. Fixed it beside the trail, decided I'd do something more mellow instead and rode some double track along the river. Going up a slight rise, it broke again. Fixed it again, and headed home. Walked up the steep hill that leads to my apartment. Hopped on the 'cross bike and headed out on a road ride. Good stuff. I think I'm starting to somewhat enjoy the climbs. At least not dread them. I'm sure it'd be different if I were riding with someone else and had some competition, but for now, I'm liking it a lot.
Here's a couple pictures from the ride today.

About 2/3 up Horn of the Moon Road.

Yay Spring!

Camel's Hump in the distance.

Killington is visible, but hard to make out.

Sparrow Farm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Breaking Chains?
Always knew there there was awesome power stirring in your quads. Too much for regular bike chains, better go to a Harley Davidson store and pick up some chain. But even that might not be enough.
Wow it looks wonderful in VT. Glad you are getting spring. We are supposed to hit 90s this weekend. Which will be odd since we have had a cold spring so far. Have seen 2 black bears in the last 2 trips over the north cascades, Oddly one was located at Black Bear Camp. Don't ever buy one of those sleep number mattresses, I have state health meetings in a motel that has them, each morning I've wound up with a incredible, almost incapacitating back ache.
Hope all is well, looking forward to seeing you this summer. We should have the boat in pretty good shape in time for a trip to FH and SJI
The old man

Anonymous said...

Occasionally you and Ford are at an age when you look like twins. Now is one of them! Mom