Wednesday, March 21

Update

Sorry about the hiatus... just been lazy.  Crazy warm weather here lately.  In the 70's for a week!  Over 80 today!  Right about this time last year we had a 3 foot dump of snow, so hopefully that won't happen again.  Snow is long gone now, from the woods, and the mountains (except the ski slopes).  Hope it stays that way!
So what's new?  Well, we got ourselves a cat.  Adopted her from the local shelter.  Chrissy wanted to name her Sucia (after this San Juan Island), and it stuck.  So here's our cat, Sucia:
Sucia the cat.
We've had her about a month so far and she's wicked sweet.  Less skittish than other cats I've been around lately too.
Last year, Chrissy and her friend Lindsey did the Burlington Marathon as a team (each of them did a half).  This year, they're doing it with a team of folks, but their fifth person backed out, so I stepped up to fill the void.  So... I've to run about 3.5 miles by the end of May.  Shouldn't be too bad, but I haven't run consistently since my freshman year of highschool.  Riding plenty, but running is a whole 'nother thang.  As long as my joints hold up, I should be ok.  Not a fan of running on pavement though.
So yeah, it's spring!  Officially, and for once it actually feels like it too.  Unbelievably, the spring peepers have already been out several nights, and last night the wood frogs showed up in the hundreds.  Not many newts yet, and no spotted salamanders yet (need some rain for that, probably this weekend).  Waded out there just now with the "big" camera to see if I could take any decent pictures of them. 
Wood frogs aplenty!
On the prowl...
Up close.

From the side.
All together.
Rejection.
Unlike a lot of frogs (and toads), wood frogs' side expand instead of their necks when they call.
For scale.
 
Also, as I was heading back in, a pair of hooded mergansers showed up.  I couldn't get very close and this was the best I could get:
Female hooded merganser.
The pair, way in the distance.  At least it focused in the right spot!
Anywho, that's it for now. 
Work hasn't gotten too busy yet, but it's only a matter of time...

No comments: