Friday, May 4

Trials riders in Starkville?!?!?!

So, I was riding back to campus from the bike shop this afternoon. Coming up the hill by Lee Hall, almost to Hilbun. From a distance I see what look like BMXers messing around on some stairs (in front of Harned Hall), only their frames looked suspiciously small. As I get closer I see, much to my surprise, that they're on trials bikes!!! WHAT?! A guy on a top-of-the-line Monty X-Lite 221 (same mod I had back in the day, only a much cooler 2007 version), and his GIRLfriend on a Zoo Python! You have no idea how rare this is! I'll break it down for you: 1) They think bikes are cool, rare enough in this part of the world, 2) They're riding trials, albeit just beginning, even more rare, 3) They're on mods, stock bikes are more trendy these days, 4) There's a girl riding a trials bike!, and 5) This is Starkville, Mississippi!
I was blown away. I stopped and said hi, then told them to wait up while I go get my sandals on (not ideal for trials, but better than the plastic-soled Sidi's I had on). The guy let me ride his X-lite, though he was understandably reluctant, especially after I told him I broke mine twice... Anywho, the tire pressure was way too low for my fat ass, but I could still show them a thing or two. They'd only been riding since February, but the guy had picked up pedal-kicking pretty quick. They're just moving here, and I'm just moving away. What a shame, yet awesome at the same time! Trials riders! In Starkville?!

No comments: