Sunday, February 5

Lots of new stuff...

A lot has happened since last time I wrote anything on here, so this is probably going to be long...
Been in classes for a week and half or so, and so far, nothing too exciting. Advanced GIS looks like it's going to be about much fun as remote sensing was (same prof.) only slightly different and easier (more familiar) software. Engineering geology looks like it'll be a lot like Hydrogeology was (same prof.) with slightly different content. Though I've already seen plenty of ppt slides I saw last semester. I'm sitting in on Mylroie's geophysics class just to see what else I can learn about it (I already took geophysics at UMaine). Very much suprisingly, he teaches by mostly reading from the book. Of course he gets off on rants every now and then, but it wasn't how I expected him to teach. So far, it's effective. The other class I'm taking, called "geologic literature/geoscience seminar" used to be about preparing poster presentations and researching geo stuff (when Mylroie taught it). Now it's basically a public speaking class (now done by Dr. Dewey, who I had for Eastern Regional last semester). Aparently, the last few grad students to defend their theses really sucked, and they wanted to do something about it. I'm sure it'll be good practice, but it seems kinda ridiculous. If nothing else, it's somewhat entertaining...
Kristen is taking her usual load of class, a full 24 credits. She's taking Chem 2, Physics, and 5 biology classes (virology, ecology, and some other ologies...). Right now, she's frustrated by learning the same thing over and over again. She's got a pretty good handle on the basics since they seem to teach them in every single bio class. She doesn't very much like memorizing 100+ scientific names(kingdom->species) for fish. She's also got a professor Dr. ___ who is aparently kind of a jerk who doesn't care much about the class he teaches. Kristen doesn't like him much. The week after next, she has 6 tests! It's going to be a nasty week for her. Too bad that week is Valentine's day and my birthday too. As if it weren't stressful enough for her.
And now for the other news. Let me start off with some background information: Athena Owen (who is in some of those pictures from San Sal) is a grad student here, also one of Mylroie's. We both started here last semester and have become good friends (with Kristen too). Her boyfriend (more on that soon) is Jason McIlwain who is also a geology grad student, but a semester ahead of us. They share the office next door. They've been dating for close to three years. Well, it wasn't working out for Athena, and this past Tuesday, they broke up. The reasons are between her and Jason, so I'm not going to get into that. But to make a long story short, we have another housemate. Two actually, and soon to be three. We cleared out the room that had formerly been for storage and watching movies/reading (one of two rooms in our apartment). So she's going to be living with us. She had been living with Jason. She's also got a cat named "Circles" and a dog named "Bell". Bell isn't here yet, but she will be eventually. It's going to be crowded. 3 people, 2 dogs, and a cat. Athena is also a horse fanatic (seriously, she's crazy about them) and owns three of them. The horses (Reno, Mystery, and Bug) live on Jason's parents' farm in Carrolton, MS, about 1.5 hours north of here. Not sure what she's going to do about that situation, but I think it's safe to say they won't be in the apartment with us. Whew. Athena will be staying with us until something else comes along. Not sure who/when/where/why/how that'll happen, but that's OK. So that's that big news.
Kristen and I got a yoga CD for christmas from her dad's girlfriend. We've been doing that on mornings we're not feeling like going for a walk. For some reason, I feel sort of silly doing it, but it really does feel pretty good. Both Kristen and my favorite pose is "simple relaxation pose". Basically you just lay on your back and veg out. It's great. It's making me a bit more flexible and also helping my posture a bit. By the way, I've lost the weight I gained over christmas, and I think I'm losing even more...
Let see, what else... oh, I've scrapped the trials bike and am selling it off. So far I've sold the frame/bar/stem (though the money isn't here yet), the BB, and the crankset. I'm going to be sending the BMX bike up to fordo when I get a chance too. Not a lot of time for that sort of thing lately it seems. Nowhere to ride either bike around here either. Well, nothing too exciting to ride anyway. I'll have to make do with just the two (XC and SS road) for a while. Besides, we need the extra space in the apartment now anyway. Actually, my bikes are going to have to live outside now because there's not room inside.
Still not set for a thesis topic. Either I'll be going to Guam to work on revising the geologic map of Guam, or I'll be going to San Salvador and other Bahamian islands to try and figure out the morphologic difference between sea caves, tafony (aeolian) caves, and collapsed flank margin caves. I have a feeling it's going to be the latter, but we'll see. I should know more about Guam next week.
Mom and dad, FINALLY got your stuff ready to ship. Went to go ship it yesterday, but aparently the P.O. doesn't operate on Saturday, even though it's open... So that'll probably go out on Tuesday morning.
Fordo, I'll ship you that bag, the little thingies for attaching a rack to a frame without mounts, and the BMX bike as soon as I get a chance...
Tealio, those shimano 600 cranks are still kicking around. I'll see if I can get them for you. What else do you need?
Alright, I'm going to go home and eat some grub.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Busy times huh.
Hope that the new house hold works out well.
Not to much going on here. Our sailing race got canceled B/c of 70 mph gust on the sound. It was pretty insane. Most of golden gardens was underwater. I wish I had my camera, but the restrooms had waves lapping up against them.
Work is still pretty dull, but getting better, especially since I broke my Fixie frame. Got my eye on a custom painted 59cm surley steamroller. Sweet.
Still hoping to build up that single speed some day. Its frame/fork are going to be on show at the San Jose Interbike in March. Got to go rip around some trails again on sunday, can't jump like I used to, but still got some moves. The sun finally came out again this week since it left in early Novemeber and it feels so much better.

Take care
don't bust a chakra or anything

Teal

Anonymous said...

Busy times huh.
Hope that the new house hold works out well.
Not to much going on here. Our sailing race got canceled B/c of 70 mph gust on the sound. It was pretty insane. Most of golden gardens was underwater. I wish I had my camera, but the restrooms had waves lapping up against them.
Work is still pretty dull, but getting better, especially since I broke my Fixie frame. Got my eye on a custom painted 59cm surley steamroller. Sweet.
Still hoping to build up that single speed some day. Its frame/fork are going to be on show at the San Jose Interbike in March. Got to go rip around some trails again on sunday, can't jump like I used to, but still got some moves. The sun finally came out again this week since it left in early Novemeber and it feels so much better.

Take care
don't bust a chakra or anything

Teal

Will Waterstrat said...

Yo, isn't a 59 a bit small for you? Mike's got a couple frames around that would work for fixie duty. There's a trek similar to mine, but black w/red decals. About as old as mine, same era at least. I think it's a 540, Reynolds 501 steel... There's also a Puegot "Super Competition" that looks pretty sweet. It's pearly-white with black decals and some orange accents. Both frames are bigger than 59cm, but less than 62. They've both got some parts on them, but no wheels. I can ask Mike what he wants for either of them. Both have the old forward facing horizontal drops. There's also a really nice looking old Bianchi (black, gold decals) that's a complete geared bike. I think it's a 60, I rode it around, and it was too small for me... Also, there's a really sweet wheel I found... don't think it'd work for fixie though because it's for a geared freewheel... it's got a Phil hub though...
Anywho, gotta get ready for lab.

Anonymous said...

sounds like Mike might have some cool stuff hanging around. anyway you could send me some pictures in the next week. Sounds like they are pretty cool. 59cm might be to small, but it has to be better than the 58 Ive been riding for the past two years.
Thanks for thinking of me. I'm going to do a sweep of seattles used bike stores friday and saturday, If I don't come up with anything I'll let you know.

Teal