Wednesday, October 4

One of those rare times...

...that I wish I had a cell phone.
Kristen spent fall break with a friend in Philadelphia and was coming back last night. She was supposed to be flying into GTR (15 minutes away) at 8:30. I got to the airport at the right time, and everyone got off the plane, then the flight attendant, then the pilots. Hmm. No Kristen. Asked a guy at the rental car place and he said it was the last flight for the night. Went over to the airline desk to see what they could tell me. Her flight got delayed big time out of Philly, so she missed her connection in Atlanta. The next flight out of there would come in to GTR at 3:20pm the next day, which wouldn't do. He also told me she might be flying into Birmingham at midnight. Not sure what to do, I went home to see if she'd called and let me know what she was up to. Sure enough, there was a message, but she didn't say where she was headed. Luckily, Jerrold (the friend she'd gone to see) was online, and happened to be on the phone with her. So I had her call me and let me know what to do. She said she'd by flying into Birmingham at midnight (11:00 starkville time). So I hit the road by about 9:30. Got to the airport there before midnight (my time), so she'd been waiting about an hour.
BUT, it turns out, there were also two people from Starkville she knew on that same flight (Jamie, a geology grad student; and Bob, her former French Prof). They both were going to be driving home from Birmingham. However, she didn't know that until she'd gotten on the plane in Atlanta, by which time I was already on my way...
Anyway, got home about 2:45am this morning. I'm pretty worn out and Kristen is even more so. Sitting in a plane for 5 hours at a gate while they try to figure out what's wrong with the plane is a bit stessful. So Kristen had a good time, and I'm glad to have her back in town.

No comments: