Wednesday, September 27

The Salsa

Hell with it, here's a picture of the Salsa taken with the cruddy old camera. Taken at Sunset yesterday, out at southfarm.

The Specs:
Frame: 2006 Salsa Ala Carte, 21", Tange Prestige Steel
Fork: 2006 Marzocchi MX Comp, 85mm travel. I don't like long travel forks on XC bikes...
Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet, was on the trials bike, bought used from Taber years ago
Wheelset: Bontrager Superstock Disc, A steal at $65 for the pair.
Tires: Bontrager Jones XR, come on $400 Gary Fishers, they'll work fine for now.
Stem: Ritchey Pro, 135mm. From the old bike
Bar: Salsa Pro Moto, 660mm wide, flat, 5 degree bend. From the old bike.
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR. From the trials bike.
Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace Bar-end 9spd shifters, mounted on Paul Thumbies.
Crankset: XT square taper arms, XTR rings. Got from Teal a long time ago...
BB: Shimano UN52 (LX level), square taper.
Rear derailleur: XTR, from the old bike.
Front derailleur: XT.
Brakes: Avid BB7 Mechanical discs. Front is old, from trials bike. Rear is new. Magura rotors.
Seatpost: Thomson Elite, 27.2x410mm.
Saddle: WTB SST K. Bought new in 1998, but I think it's a 1997. How I love thee.
Pedals: Some cheap Shimano SPDs...
Extras: Bontrager braided carbon shifter housing, Avid FlakJacket Brake housing (left over from trials bike), Dura-Ace inline gear indicator (for the thumbies), Salsa Liplock seat collar, 2 cheapo bottle cages, SRAM Bassworm (used on rear brake, I think it feels better), SRAM nightcrawler (on rear shift cable), Lizard Skins chainstay guard, Planet Bike rear blinky light (Thanks Teal!), Night-Rider Evolution Headlight (10W).
I think that's about it. How do I like it you ask? Well...
I love it. It's definitely heavier than the old S-Works (about 27.5lbs with lights), but it fits me much better and rides smoother. The fork is great. I've never been one to mess around much with my forks, and all I can do with this one (without getting into internal stuff) is change the air pressure. I put on the thumb-shifters after my XT brake/shifter combos fell apart. I'm liking them quite a bit. They're not quite as easy to get at as trigger shifters, but they shift more solidly, and I love the friction shifting on the front. I hate having my chain rub the derailleur. Other than that, nothing too special. The steel rides nicer than the S-Works did, for sure. I think the main improvement in comfort is due to the bike actually fitting me though.
So I like it a lot and I plan on putting many many miles on it. I'm eager to try out a 29er, but that'll have to wait. Can't afford it now anyway. Let me know what you guys think of it. I'll try to show you the road bike with gears too. I'm planning on setting it back up as a singlespeed and putting cross tires on it. :) Whee... I love bikes.

9 comments:

Will Waterstrat said...

Correction:
The frame is made out of True Temper OX Platinum Steel...
I knew it started with a T anyway.
By the way, that photo is over the "summit" of "jackass mountain" (I still use those names), looking east.

Anonymous said...

How about of picture of you on your bike? Will this be the bike you use for your ride this/next (2006!)summer?
MOM

Will Waterstrat said...

It's hard to take pictures of me riding... I don't have a tripod or anything, and the old camera doesn't have a timer...
Yeah, if I can afford to do a long trip, and choose to do the MTB thing, this will be the bike. Since I've got those nice panniers you got me, I have to use them right? :)

Anonymous said...

Will
Thanks for your effort on the blog. Really a nice way of keeping in touch. The photos are always cool.
We had a nice power trip to the San Juams last weekend. Motored for all but 2 hrs. Used the autohelm much of the under power time. The currents really make a difference in speed, And it is a col navigational exercise to work out tthe longer distamce faster speed vs shorter distamce slower speed issues. Wind up doing with map and dividers vs doing it all using the chartplotter. Also played with the radar a bit. Lots of tanker/container sshp traffic emterimng Puget Sound boun for Vancouver or Seattle.
We hung on the hook in Friday Harbor and poked around town. Climbed into the Zodiac amd cruised the shores near the Friday Harbor Labs. Ran into a big Cyanea jellyfish bloom an some porpise herds. Cool flat weaher. Will try to send the obligatory photos tomorrow.
The old man

Anonymous said...

Will, I think it is wonderful how you totally give the detailed rundown on the bike, it is clear you have a passion. Hope life is going well :)
~E

Will Waterstrat said...

Erica?

Will Waterstrat said...

All it really says is that I'm a total bike dork... But I'm ok with that. :)
By the way, the cross tires fit the road bike, until I pumped them up to 60psi. Then I got major rubbing issues, but not on the stays... they were rubbing the bottom of the fork crown and the brake calipers. Oh well...

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't Kristen take a picture of you on your bike?
Did you get to go camping? We were up in the hills today. There was a deep blue sky, bright yellow aspen leaves, and dark pine and spruce. Wind was blowing gently and all was good in the kingdom...except for a few spot fires in the distance.
MOM

Will Waterstrat said...

Nope, no camping. Too much work to do... didn't have a chance to figure something out anyway. Oh well.