Tuesday, April 6

Camping on Waterbury Reservoir

Geez, I've gotten so caught up with all the flora and fauna in the back yard that I forgot to mention that Chrissy and I went on our first canoe AND first camping trip of the year! We went down to the Cotton Brook put-in at the Waterbury Reservoir (just down the road from us). We didn't see a single person the whole evening, night or morning until about 11am. It was great to be out on the water, great to get out of the house, and great to be enjoying some sunshine (got up to 80+ degrees!).
While setting up the tent, I discovered I forgot tent pegs (what an amateur I'm becoming), but I was able to remedy that by driving some sticks into the ground with a rock. Problem solved. After a dinner of mac & cheese and a couple beers, we hit the sack (our awesome Big Agnes double bag) and got some rest. I woke up to birds chirping around 8am and Chrissy awoke shortly afterwards. We packed up camp and got out on the water before 10:00. After paddling around a bit, we headed back to the put-in to pick up two of Chrissy's friends and their two dogs. With 4 people and 2 dogs, we had a good load in the boat, but she handled it without a hitch. We then paddled back to our campsite, had a picnic, and played some cards.
Turned out to be an awesome weekend! Here are some photos:


Sunshine, canoe, cold beer, pretty lady... life is good.


In need of some sunshine.


Ashore at the camping spot.


No tent stakes? No problem.


Home away from home.


Nice and spacious.




Too bad there weren't enough for dinner.


Surprisingly, there was enough dry wood for a fire. Thumbs up!


Blueberries for dessert!


Calm water the next morning.


Lycopodium obscurum.


A full boat.


A sleepy puppy.




Ella, the amazing wiener-dog.


Bella, 5 months old.


Ella showing off.


The whole crew.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow i like your pictures. Looks like good fun! Has you got room for one more doggie!!

Enzo AGC said...

Hi,

I was thinking about doing this myself. Did you have to reserve a campsite or did you just find a good spot and set up camp? Thanks!

Unknown said...

I can see from your lovely photos how much you enjoy the Reservoir. I I invite you to visit www.friendsofwaterburyreservoir.org or follow us on FaceBook.