Wednesday, April 21

Dirt farmin' stone garden.

Here are some pictures of what will eventually become our garden, I hope. Not going to plant anything for a while yet because we can get frost as late as Memorial Day. I'll probably get things going before that though, since I'll be going from seeds. Speaking of that, we've got way more seeds than we've got room for. We'll see how it grows...




A few of the larger stones I dug up. I guess they'll be good for a border or something.


After hoeing.




The tulips we planted last fall. Should be blooming pretty soon, probably just in time for me to be gone for work again. I ought to weed them, but I'm not worried about it...


Gettin' there...

And here's some random plants from around the yard:


Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum) coming up beneath the remains of last year's growth. Aka "Mexican Bamboo". Once this stuff gets a couple feet tall, you can harvest it and it's supposed to taste like rhubarb. It is an invasive species that likes to grow along stream banks. I won't feel bad if it's delicious and I gobble it all up.


Dandelion. Going to have to try making some dandelion green salad one of these days...


Great Burdock (Arctium minus) seeds, the inspiration for velcro (TM).


Young burdock. Lots of this stuff around. It has deep roots, so it's really hard to get rid of if you don't want it around.

No comments: