Monday, April 12

The Reservoir... again.

I went down to the reservoir again Sunday evening for a quick little paddle. The wind was pretty gusty, so I stuck close to the shoreline and followed the Waterbury River upstream a little ways. Haven't managed to spot any turtles yet (never saw any here last year either), but I did see my favorite bird, the Great Blue Heron. No pictures of the actual bird, but here are some pictures of his gigantic footprints.




My hand for scale.

Also came across a bunch of duck tracks. There have been some ducks around, but I don't know what they are. I think I've seen a few mallards from a distance, but I'm not sure about the others. They have a dark head like mallards, but the rest of them is kind of white. I guess I need to get a bird guide...





This place is also home to many beavers. There are several really big lodges. Here is one of them:


How many beavers typically live in a lodge this size?

Last but not least, the boat that got me there. Bit of a handful to paddle solo, but a heck of a lot more comfortable and easier to paddle than the whitewater boat.

No comments: