Thursday, April 15

First turtle of the year!

I took the canoe to work today (on the roof of my car, not paddled it to work) so I could go down to the Wrightsville Reservoir outside Montpelier. There was still ice over most of it about a week ago, but it was all clear today. The weather was nice, so a coworker, Jess, and I took off early and went down for a ride. Jess was my partner in crime for all of the Australia work (3 months of it) and most of the work in California (couple months total also). Anywho, it wasn't the turtle-fest I was hoping for, but we did spot a painted turtle basking on an old bridge abutment. It splashed in long before we went past the first time, while going upwind. On the way back, we drifted quietly up to it. It still plopped into the water, but it stayed just below the surface and Jess got it with the net. Took a couple photos and put it right back.


Painted turtle (Chrysemys picta). There are 4 distinct subspecies of painted turtles. In this area there is the potential for two, the Midland (C. picta marginata) and Eastern (C. picta picta). If I go by the Peterson's guide Teal let me borrow, I'd guess this is a Midland based on the range. However, Vermont is right on the edge of where Eastern and Midland subspecies ranges overlap, so it's likely got characteristics of both, which what I think I've got. Eastern's are supposed to have the large scutes in relatively straight rows, and on Midland's they're supposed to alternate. The scutes on this aren't in straight lines, but they don't really alternate either. The midland is supposed to have some dark splotches on the plastron (bottom shell), but as you'll see in the next picture, it has none whatsoever. Anywho, doesn't really matter much, it's a painted turtle one way or another...


No marks on the plastron...




Those big claws give this away as a male.


That's Jess in the background. You can also see the old bridge abutment he was basking on to the right.

Pretty little guy no matter what. Hope to see lots more.

No comments: