Sunday, April 4

Spring has sprung.

It turns out my backyard pond is now full of frogs, newts, salamanders, and even a couple beavers. I've been going up there every day for the past week or so. At first, there didn't seem to be anything moving besides backswimmers and mosquito larva. Then, a few days ago, I saw lots of newts, two wood frogs and a couple tadpoles. Yesterday evening/last night there were literally hundreds of wood frogs, countless spring peepers (only actually saw 3 or 4, but the noise was immense!), plenty of newts, a couple water scavenger beetles, and the highlight - a spotted salamander! What a difference a couple days makes.
I also saw a young beaver go swimming around while I was quietly watching from behind some tall grass. The wood frogs, floating around in the water, immediately quit singing when they saw it coming. The spring peepers didn't seem to mind. I took a few photos and some videos. I'll try to upload them later.
I'm thinking of starting a separate blog to keep all the pictures and stories about ecological stuff apart from personal stuff. Any clever ideas for a name? I live in Stowe Vermont, on Taber Hill, if that helps.
Going out for a bike ride.
Oh yeah, Happy Easter! How come there's no Wester, Norther, or Souther?

2 comments:

keith said...

Will's Excellent Ecological Adventures
Eco Chronicles
It's more than just moss on tree
Check this bug out
One fun guy and fungi

dano said...

I wish I had a backyard. Loved the pics.