Thursday, April 1

Swamp walking.

It was a beautiful day today (almost 70!) and I spent most of the day outside. First, I wanted to try the canoe out in something other than a swimming pool (I did 4 pools sessions at the UVM pool this winter, learning to roll it), so I took it down to a local swimming hole. We've been getting lots of rain lately, so the water was running pretty strong. Strong enough to wash me downstream once I got out of an eddy. There wasn't too much for me to do at this particular spot, and I didn't want to try anything fancy when I was by myself, so I went down to the reservoir to see how the melt was coming along. All the ice as far as I could see was gone and the water level was way up! Sweet! Snapped a few photos of the boat and the reservoir and headed home for lunch.

Out on the reservoir, and it's not frozen anymore! That colony of reeds ahead of me is the same colony that has been in a bunch of pictures I've taken over the winter. Gives you an idea how much higher the water is now.


The "new" whitewater canoe. A top of the line boat that I got for less than half what I paid for the 25 year old boat I had before! I was able to sell that one recently.


It's an Esquif Nitro. Made in Canada, eh.


The pedestal, foot pedals, and thigh straps. You have to be pretty secure in there to be able to roll it. Not as hard to get out of as it looks though.


What it looks like with me in it. Dimensions of this boat are 11'5" long x 27" wide. Turns on a dime but is a hassle to keep going straight on flatwater...

After having lunch sitting in a lawn chair in the sunny front yard with Chrissy, I went back down to the reservoir to do some critter-huntin'. Teal got me some chest-waders for my birthday, and I've been waiting for a chance to try them out. They work awesome! I've also been reading a book about marshes and bogs that Teal sent me, so I was really eager to see some reptiles or amphibians. Heck, even some bugs or something would be nice. Well, turns out I would have some luck once I knew what to look for.
The first place I checked out was a backwater of the river that feeds the reservoir. I came across a beaver-dammed spot where the water was still, and I figured I'd have better luck seeing things.

Thanks beavers!

At first, the only thing I saw moving around were little fish. I don't know if this is an actual minnow, or just a young version of something else. Kinda pretty little guy though.

Dad, you're the fish expert, what is this?


Pretty sure this is a dragonfly larvae, most likely a darner (the big ones).

Later on, after getting bored of chasing little fishies, I started noticing slimy brown things with wriggling tails, burying themselves under leaves. Turned out I'd found a part of the pool that was full of Red-spotted newts (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens), many of them actively breeding.

Cue the Marvin Gaye music.


Sorry to interrupt...




I'm pretty sure these guys were in the transitional stage between the terrestrial stage (red efts) and the fully aquatic stage. The tails on the males were not as well-developed as I've seen before, and they were a lot darker in color too. I actually ran into an eft a little while later.




"Terrestrial" but still fond of the water...

So, I was stoked to see my first amphibians of the year. However, I was a bit disappointed at how quiet it was. Some birds chirping for sure, but no frogs or insects making any noise. I climbed back up the bank and started walking around the base of a hill, where there were some good sized pools of water - vernal pools I suppose.

Vernal pool - Here froggy, froggy.

Once I got within sight of those, I heard some frogs! Of course, they became silent as soon as I got close enough to be able to see what was making the noise, but a few of the frogs were still out in the open. They turned out to be Wood frogs (Rana sylvatica). Here's some pictures of those guys:








Their calls sound sort of like ducks and they seemed to hop forward when they sang. I wasn't able to get a good recording of them, but I may go back and try tomorrow (I actually went back after it got dark, but apparently these guys don't sing at night, too cold?). At one point, I sat motionless for 45 minutes waiting for them to start singing again, but they just wouldn't, despite the frogs in the neighboring pool starting to sing. There were over 25 pairs of eyes watching me, so I guess I didn't have them fooled. Once I gave up on that, I noticed that there were already quite a few clusters of eggs. These guys don't waste any time!

'Tis the season for makin' babies I guess...


Underwater shot of egg mass.


The eggs were black on the top and light colored on the bottom. Teal, does that make them harder for predators to see, or are they already taking the colors of the frogs?

I only saw one tadpole the whole time, back where the newts were. He got away before I had a chance to take a good look at him or take a picture, so I have no idea what it was. Not very big though, so maybe a really early wood frog...

Finally, all the driving on dirt roads got my car really muddy. Ford, this one is for you:

Braaaaaaaaaaap!

2 comments:

keith said...

You need to bring the Nitro over here for some paddling. There's a pretty easy Class II run about 20 minutes from the house with a play spot at the take out.
You've become quite the ecologist recently.

Anonymous said...

Yo Will great herping (technical talk)field notes. Sure you be out flippin (more technical lingo) soon. Thanks.

That bi-hemispherical coloration will change pretty quickly as the eggs develop. they will actually turn over and the white side will disappear into a single spot and then the cleavage will start to happen. The above applies to ranid (true frogs). Those eggs will develop and hatch pretty quickly with a couple warm weeks. Bet you'll see lots of stuff happening fast.

We have had most of our still water amphibians lay over here on the west coast, but the pseudacris regilla and taricha granulosa will keep going all summer. As well as the rana catesbeiana as soon as it gets warm enough for those invaders.
Have fun

Teal