Sunday, May 1

Finals and stuff

Well, finals start tomorrow. I've got a couple really hard ones, but I'm not too worried. Besides, I suppose it doesn't matter too much how well I do, since I'm already into grad school and all. Still going to study plenty, and I'll probably do just fine.
I like posting all those pictures, if you couldn't tell. Don't have too much to take pictures of lately, so I've been posting ones from years past, and some more from WorldWind. A couple of the local flooding as well. Can't wait to send you all some from Stark-Vegas.
Went riding yesterday. Rode about 5 miles on the road to Colby College, where I was going to ride on trails. Got about halfway up the first big hill, gave a hard pedal stroke to lift the front up over a ditch... which pulled my wheel out of the dropouts. Yes, it was tight. The non drive side bearing (in the wheel) also seized up. It's been making all sorts of noise since I got this bike, and I recently tried to repack the sealed bearing. It was working fine, but I took it apart again to get the bearing specs so I could get a new one, and didn't take much time putting it all back. Either way, the bearing is toast, and has been for a while. Fortunately, they're only about $3 to replace. Hope the part gets here soon though.
Took the back seat out of the Subaru the other day to make more room for stuff. It already had quite a bit of room, but now it's got tons. Took off the factory roof rack too, to make room for the old Yakima one. Probably going down to Boothbay on Wednesday (after finals are done) to go get that out of storage at the kayak shop. Speaking of that, I've also got all my kayak gear down there if anyone needs to borrow it for a while. Don't think I'll be going paddling while I'm in Mississippi. I've got a decent PFD, a Boreal Delphina paddle (fiberglass, very nice though), perception neoprene/nylon skirt (leaks like a seive), Kokatat short sleave spray top (nylon, but breathable), Kokatat long sleeve paddling jacket (PVC coated, definitely not breathable, but waterproof), Chota hightop booties (size 13), NRS lowtop booties (size 13), some Kokatat paddling shorts that have never fit, a Gerber River shorty knife, Salamander tow belt, and other random kayak stuff. Pretty much everything but a boat. So Teal, if you're broke after you buy your feathercraft, I can let you borrow all that stuff...
I'm also probably going to eat dinner with the Kinseys. I hope that goes alright. It's hard to go there, because of all the memories associated with that house. Probably even harder for them, since they must associate me with Eliza. I don't know if I'll ever be able to go there and not be sad. Just driving towards their house is hard to do, or anything that I associate with her, which is about everything in Boothbay... It's good they have amusing pets to distract us from what we're all probably thinking about...
Made some yummy lunch today. I'm getting pretty good at throwing random vegetables together in a pan and having it turn out well. Today it was grated carrot, green pepper, red pepper, onions, pecans, and sun dried tomatoes. Put some lime juice, parsley, salt & pepper on it, and it was good. I've also been cooking with Tofu lately. Suprising that I kind of like it now, after all the fuss we made about it as kids. I still remember "tofu-dles", and puffy tofu. Not to mention all the other ways mom tried to disguise it (strawberry-tofu pudding?). Actually, Miss Bette and Kristen's mom got us a really nice cookbook. Sorta like the "joy of cooking" with about everything you could ever need. This one's "fannie farmer" though. Pretty sweet.
Kristen's going to take summer classes once we get down to Mississippi. Dr. Mylroie is being really helpful and offering to find her a job as well. They're such nice folks. I'm looking forward to friendly southerners again. Not that I have anything against Yankees, cold heartless bastards that they are. Just kidding. Maine is more home to me than anywhere else now. I can see why Mainers like their state so much, and stay here for generations. Who knows about those Massholes though...
Right, so I really ought to start studying now. No one probably has the time to read all this blabber anyway.

No comments: