Tuesday, May 24

Goodbye Maine...

Well, we're leaving tomorrow night after Kristen's test. I sure am going to miss Maine. After spending the last 7 years (on and off) up here, I've really grown to like it. The winters are way too long, and the tourists get annoying, but I've become quite attached. And some important things have happened to me here. I guess it's home now. I've never lived in one place for as long a stretch. I think I somewhat understand now what it's like to have grown up somewhere. I'm still glad I moved around all over the place growing up, but I'm glad I've sort of got a feeling for what "settled" feels like. I'd like to come back here eventually. But hey, the old wanderlust kicks in and we're off to Misssissippi...
Spent yesterday doing lots of things. Shipped some packages to the Mylroie's since I don't know the address of our apartment. Cost $150 for 5 boxes... a lot cheaper than making an extra trip in the car anyway. Went down to Boothbay in the pouring rain. Closed my account at the bank, went to the bakery to get some souveniers (donuts) and got 3 for free. Consistently tipping has paid off there... Then went to Kristen's grandparent's house to pick up their dogs (a beagle/cocker spaniel, and an old greyhound) to take them back to Belgrade. Stopped by Ocean Point. Sat on the rocks where Eliza and I spent many late nights, had a good cry... tried to tell her I'd be back again...
Drove back to Oakland, stupid greyhound kept trying to jump in the front seat. Very frustrating, but trying to control him kept me from dwelling on sad things, so that's good I guess.
Today, have to finish all the packing. Hopefully the rain holds off so I can do it without getting all the stuff and me wet. Probably taking some excess stuff over to Kristen's dad's house too. And picking up the mom's lawnmower from the repair shop. Last week I mowed the lawn, but broke the pull cord. Fortunately I'd already finished the front yard. I got abuse about being a brute, but c'mon, it's a 40 year old lawnmower... the cord had to break sometime soon. Hmph.
Anywho, I should probably get to work. I probably won't be writing again for a while. I will be too busy the next few days, and I don't know when I'll have access to a computer once we get to Mississippi. Oh yeah, and I'll only be there a few days before I have to hop on a bus to Pennsylvania to go off to field camp. Lots and lots of driving this summer. Maybe I can convince Kristen to keep you all up to date. She's going to be taking summer courses and working though, so she might not have time for it either. Either way, once I'm back in July, I'll pick up where I left off. Until then, take care everyone. Especially you.

No comments: