Friday, May 6

Sweet.

Well, got an email from Joan Mylroie (Dr. Mylroie's wife), saying one of their grad students was moving away, and was offering her apartment for the summer. It all sounded pretty good, so Kristen and I discussed it, and we're going to take it. Don't know what will happen after July (the grad student's lease is over then) though. Not sure if it's already rented after her time is up or what. But I figure if we like it, great. If not, it'll give us a lot more time to find a better place. The rent is only $270/month, and it's close to campus. On Jarnigan Street, which is between the Cotton District and that big cemetary on University Drive. In addition, we won't have to pay connection fees ($160) for the power, and it comes with some furniture. So, before we've even been down to Mississippi, we already have a place to live! The Mylroies have also gathered some furniture for us as well. Man I love southern hospitality. :) Still scheduled to go down there after Kristen's test (on the 10th), to move stuff in and check the place out. Get reacquainted with campus and Starkville as well...
Got the roofrack onto the Subaru. Suprisingly, I had to shorten it up a bit. The curved windows make for less room to mount the towers. It works though, and I was still able to put the old cargo basket (circa 1988) on there too. Might chop the ends of the bars off, since they stick out 13" on both sides. Going to have to get used to dodging them again...
Speaking of the Subaru, I have an annoying problem. There is oil leaking from the area that the timing belt and all that stuff is on the front of the engine. It's not much of a leak (though it seems to be getting a bit worse), but the oil gets sprayed back onto the oil pan, and from there it splashes onto the exhaust. So when I stop, there's a bit of smoke that comes up through the hood vents. Makes it look like a fire-breathing dragon, and it's rather annoying. Anyone know what to do about that? I tried to make a splash guard out of plastic so the oil wouldn't make it back to the exhaust, but the only thing I had to attach it to was a couple holes on the exhaust heat shields. It flapped around, and the zip ties melted. So I need a solution. I could probably rig up something better if I could get that far under the car. I'll eventually get the problem fixed, but I can't afford that sort of thing right now. When I had the sending unit (for the gas guage) fixed I asked the mechanic, and he said it was nothing to really worry about, so we'll see. I plan on taking the car in for work after I'm done with all this moving stuff...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Willmo
Sounds like you need to get a repair manual for the subie. How much oil are you leaking? Keep checking the dip stick Any warranty on the rig?
The old man

Will Waterstrat said...

Yeah, I've been looking for a repair manual for it... haven't found one yet. I'm not sure how much it is leaking, but I've had to add about half a quart after 2500 miles since the last oil change. The oil I used is Mobil High Mileage, supposedly good for 5000miles, FRAM filter. I check the oil every time I get gas (which is pretty often since I drive up to school twice a week) or more. Nope, no warranty. It's fine otherwise, no problems at all I've noticed...